Friday, November 28, 2008

My Smart Little Boy

This afternoon, we were putting up our Christmas decorations. I was working on getting the tree up and lit and Riley was so excited. Unfortunately his idea of helping is taking a strand of lights and spinning them around like a lasso, so I gave him my phone to play with. Reed has learned over the years of being married to me that when putting the Christmas tree together he just lets me do it all and only offers to help if I ask. He may have had to learn that the hard way. Now he pretty much ignores my muttering and cries of frustrations because he knows if he interferes I usually have a surge of irrational tears and say, "Fine if you think you can do it better call me when it's done." Yeah. I'm not proud, its just how I am. So he was wisely keeping busy cleaning out our window wells muttering how disgusting a job it was. I must have gotten really involved in what I was doing because I realized that I hadn't heard from Riley for a while. He was no where to be found. I went to the stairs and called up thinking 'why isn't he downstairs?'
When he came down he had my phone on the notes page. He likes to pull up the page and 'tap' as he calls it. Usually it is just random stuff. Jibberish mostly. Today however when he showed me what he 'tapped' he was so proud. Here is a transcription:

Reed is. Rilehy. Ufrad. Uff duskcusteg chags yes he is rilehy du

Now this may look like jibberish still but when he showed it to me this is what he said was written:

Reed is really afraid of disgusting things yes he is really does.

I find this rather impressive. Not knowing how to spell he was able to put down things that are fairly close phonetically to what he wanted to say. I was awfully proud. He's only 4 people. He astounds me every day. :) As a side post, its a blurry picture but I wanted to show off my war wounds from getting fingers pinched by putting up the Christmas tree.

No comments: