Monday, June 15, 2009

Sacrament Meeting Busy Work

As anyone with a little kid knows, Sacrament meeting is always a challenge in keeping your kid entertained and reverent at the same time. I have a giant bag that practically throws my shoulder out each Sunday filled with stuff to keep Riley entertained. The stuff inside ranges from Highlights picture searches, quiet books that mom and Jan have made for me, crayons and paper, scripture story books, just to name a few. It is really quite massive because there is really no telling what will hold Riley's interest once we get to church. This Sunday I was lucky enough not to have to fully empty my bag of tricks. The pad of paper and crayons were what he wanted. First he drew me a picture of the Elephant from the zoo that he saw yesterday for Liv's birthday. It has chains on its legs and there is a rainbow over head.
Then I distracted him for a while with his math questions. I couldn't find his page from yesterday in my bag so I took a picture of a previous Sunday's page so that you could see what I mean.

After he was done with that I wrote him some questions and let him write his answers. He was so stinkin' cute. He would turn away from me so I couldn't see his answers and only show me after he had them all written. He has been a little obsessed with the Holy Ghost lately because that is what they have been talking about in his Sunday School class and maybe we need to work a little harder with him on distinguishing the idea that he and Heavenly Father are separate people but I thought it was too cute not to share. Oh, and the second answer is in the clouds. (C-L-O-D-S) He is all about spelling phonetically which doesn't always work out well but he's 5 I guess I can cut him a little slack. :)

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Your kid is amazing. All mine want to do in Sacrament is drive their cars that don't make any noise and eat. Sad I know but it keeps them reverent...well as reverent as a 4 yo and 2 yo can be.